Thursday, October 4, 2007

Taking Stock

It's time to take stock as the housing market tanks. Here are some updates on houses I've been watching.

7191 Havenside Drive
MLS #: 70099271
Asking Price: $317,500
Previous Asking price: $335,000 (July 2007)
Price Cut: $17,500 (-5.22%)

This was a halfplex I visted with a friend during an open house and I ranted on this blog about the overwhelming scent candles the agent used to drive us out the door. Well, it seems like it worked. An article in the Sacramento Bee featured its owner who, based on Money Magazine's designating Holland, Michigan as one of thebest places to live, decided to sell her home and leave Sacatomato. Looks like she ain't leaving anytime soon.

7030 Havenhurst Drive
MLS #: 70043176 (Pending)
Asking Price: $269,000
Previous Asking price: $299,000 (June 2007)
Price Cut: $30,000 (-10%)


I looked at this halfplex the same day as the one above. By July, the price had dropped to $285K, which seemed like a pretty good deal per square foot compared to what was on the market at the time. But, the home was dark and dank with a tiny, tiny backyard.

7444 Spicewood Dr. (Update)
MLS #:
70100557
Asking Price: $289,000
Previous Asking Price: $309,000
Price Cut: Still not enough

I've always thought that this house was cute. Seemed well-kept and in a good location near the Bel-Air shopping center where I used to live when I rented in the Pocket. When this house went into pending a few months ago, I thought, "Who's the crazy person paying over $300K for 982 square feet?" Looks like nobody was that crazy. The seller really isn't trying to sell his/her house now, are they?

799 Crestwater Lane
MLS: Sold 9/27/2007
Asking Price: $239,000
Old Asking Price: $275,000
Price Cut: $36,000 (-13%)

This is a nice 2/2 1201 sq/ft condo. It had high ceilings, nice detail and spacious rooms. The only bad thing was the separate kitchen. It finally sold, after a $36,000 reduction, selling for less than $200 a sq/ft. I think it might have been listed at a higher asking price at one time too but I'm not sure. It's been so long since it first went on the market. I definitely remember the $275,000 price tag though and the chase down to the bottom. At one time, I thought, "If it goes down to $250K, I'll take a look." Then the market soured, my interest waned. Next thing I know, it's sold at at what is not a bad price for the area. I'll take it as good tidings.

Another interesting sign of the times is dearth of applications for a recent job opening at my work place. I was screening the candidates and over half of them were loan officers, mortgage brokers and real estate agents. Good luck to all of them. Posting an opening for a stable job is like throwing a bone to a den of hungry lions.

1 comment:

rdt210 said...

Check out MLS #: 70117734 gated community in Greehaven (Villa Pallazzo) - it may be something you like?