Thursday, January 11, 2007

Give More Than You Can

Giving more than you can really isn't the way to get rich. In fact, its the opposite. Living on a strict budget of $15 for the rest of the month, I just gave away $11 of that grand sum. Don't ask me why I'm on such a strict budget. It's a tale for the weekly postings. Anyhow, I met a older guy on the light rail last night and he ran through a long story about him being a Veteran whose check hadn't come in and that he'd already gotten two light rail tickets and really needed to get home and he already had a dollar, could I spare 75 cents? I was telling the truth when I said I didn't carry cash. I somehow discovered 75 cents at the bottom of my bag and sent him on his merry way. Hope he didn't spend it on booze instead.

I usually never just hand money out to people who ask. However, I've been stranded before with no money and th fact that he had half of the amount needed worked in his favor. The rest of the $10 I handed over to our company's Foodlink drive. I just hadn't gotten around to donating and the deadline is today. And, the fact that I was one of the food drive coordinators made it embarassing that I hadn't added to the pot. In my defense, I was roped into the job on my first day here at my new job because nobody else wanted to do it. I remember being poor and getting canned food from charity. Lots of V8, corn, tomato soup and beans.

No comments: